- First, do a backup in Wintix:
- Go to Tools | Backup | Backup data
NOTE: A backup generally takes two to five minutes – do NOT close the black DOS window or the backup will be incomplete. When the backup is finished, the black window will close and you will see a message telling you the name of the file and where you can locate it on your computer.
- Now, go to Mailing List | Utilities | Remove duplications
- NOTE: You may wish to run a list of duplicate records before you remove them. (Click on the Report of the duplications button first.)
- If you are on Wintix 6, you can run a report of the duplications to a spreadsheet.
- Wintix will look at the zip code, the first letter of the last name, and a condensed version of the address.
- If all of those match a record, the record will be marked as a duplicate and removed from the file.
- The sales history from the record that is removed will be merged with the record that is kept.
- The record that is kept will be the record that was entered into your database first.
- The duplications that are removed are not really gone. They are put into an inactive table. You can search for these duplications the normal way with a generic search.
- Look in the lower left corner and click on the Search the inactive customers table radio button.